From Then to Now: The Interfaith Center’s 50th Year Anniversary!

Posted on May 18, 2016 in General

OldBarnesLodge
Chapel-House-Exterior2
The first Chapel House was located in the Barnes Lodge which was built in 1910. It was destroyed by fire in 1985.

The Albany Collegiate Interfaith Center (ACIC), for many years known as Chapel House and currently known as The Interfaith Center, was founded in 1965 and incorporated on December 15, 1966, by the Capital Area Council of Churches, Inc., the Jewish Community Council (currently the United Jewish Federation of Northeastern New York) and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany, New York, as a religious center forstudy, prayer, and the promotion of interfaith understanding and cooperation within the University at Albany community. Significant stories behind The Interfaith Center have enriched its history and strengthened interfaith relationships. In 1985, a Protestant (Lutheran) Chaplain rescued the Jewish Torah from the smoldering ruins of the first Chapel House, the old Barnes Lodge on Waverly Place; the Catholic Community donated a silver pointer to the Jewish Community; the Jewish Community donated a candle stand to the Christian Community; Catholic students gathered tools for the creation of a Jewish sukkah.

Over the years, The Interfaith Center has evolved into a much-loved center, bringing together young adults from different faith traditions and diverse religious backgrounds and practices to participate in learning, expression, and friendship.

Please join us as we celebrate 50 years serving the diverse spiritual needs of the University at Albany community and the Capital Region.

WHEN: Saturday October 8th, 2016.  7pm-9pm
WHERE: The Interfaith Center at UAlbany: 1400 Washington Ave. Albany across from Sefcu Arena on E. University Drive.